Uglow Family HistoryUglows in Alwington
"ALWINGTON (ST. ANDREW), a parish, in the union of BIDEFORD, hundred of SHEBHEAR, Great Torrington and N. divisions of DEVON, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Bideford; containing, with the hamlets of Fairy Cross, Ford, and Woodtown, 392 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 2603 acres. . . . In the church, over the door of the chancel, is a curious ancient monument to a member of the Coffin family. In Yeo Vale, so called from the river Yeo, which runs through it, are the remains of a chapel. There is a parochial school; also a place of worship for Wesleyans; and almshouses for three poor persons, endowed in 1696 by R. Coffin, Esq."
Topographical Dictionary of England (1844) - quoted by Brian Randall.]
On 28th November 1705 John Ugler married Joan Andrew in Alwington. Who were they?
John may have been:
a) John 1679, the son of Thomas and Mary Maunder from Okehampton. He would have been a close contemporary of Joan
or b) John 1666, the son of Richard and Elizabeth Braund from Marhamchurch - this speculation is based on the fact that the family move back to Marhamchurch.
Joan may have been:
a) baptised on Christmas Eve 1681 in Littleham, very close to Alwington with parents James Andrew/Margaret Scort
or b) baptised on 15th June 1680 Shebbear, Devon with parents Humphrey Andrew/Lydia Pearse
Their sons were both born in Alwington but the family may later move to Marhamchurch: John died there in 1740 - there is a will in the Cornish Record Offfice and an A2A record talking of '... All the goods of John Uglow deceased, husband of Joan...' dated 3rd May 1740. Joan survives until 1770