The Church is named after St
Thetha, one of the twenty-four sons and daughters of Prince Brychan, a
Welsh chieftain. She and many of her brothers and sisters, including Endelienta,
Mabena, Adwena, Minfreda, came to North Cornwall to convert people to
Christianity in the Dark Ages after the Romans left Britain. The
churchyard and church land is roughly in the shape of a circle. This means
there was probably some kind of place of worship here in Celtic times.
The Cross in the cemetery is the third tallest in Cornwall and also dates
from Celtic times. It probably stood on the other side of the churchyard
(where Forge Cottage is now) as the base of it is still there.
Elizabeth and William Keat
Elizabeth was born in 1816 and christened on 17th June in Warbstow. She was the daughter of Nicholas and Ann Gillard and the granddaughter of Nicholas
In 1840, she had an illegitimate son, William. 1841 she
was at Halworthy, Treneglos with her son and her parents. In 1851 she was working as a house servant for William King, a doctor in Lanteglos. On 3rd October 1859, she married William Keat, an accountant at the Delabole
Slate Quarry. Both of them were middle aged - he was widowed with several children, aged 43, born in 1814. The ceremony was at Camelford Church, father Nicholas was a witness and Rev George Chesson officiated. Elizabeth was described (Trewmans Flying Post 8th September) as living at Youlton Cottage, Warbstow. This is believed to be near Reddyford Mill, south of Warbstow where nowadays there is a hamlet called Youlstone.
St Teath seemed packed with Keats
especially by the 1891 census. In 1861 and 1871, William and Elizabeth (with William's daughter, Frances with them in 1861 and Elizabeth's son, William, in 1871) were living at Medrose, St Teath. Their lives were bound up with the slate mine at Delabole - Keat himself was on the management side but WIlliam Uglow (and his illegitimate son, Charles Bluett) both ran stationary engines in the quarry.
In 1881, Elizabeth and William were living
in Lower Pengelly Village, St Teath and William worked as a quarry
agent but he died in 1887. By 1891, Elizabeth, aged 75, was widowed and lodging with Sarah Hoskins, a charwoman, at 81,Pengelly
High Lane, St Teath (just a
few doors away from her son). In 1901 Elizabeth was living
with son William in St Teath. She died in the first quarter of 1903.
- son William Treffry born around1840 in
Warbstow. William was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth and the grandson
of Nicholas and Ann Gillard. (Treffry is Cornish name, often mis-spelt, and in 1841 most of them lived in Stoke Climsland) In 1841 William
was at Halworthy, Treneglos with his grandparents and mother. In 1851, he was living with his grandparents at Pearns House, Warbstow - his mother was working away. In 1861
he was working as a farm labourer and living at Yeolden Gate, Warbstow
with grandmother, Ann who was 81, a farmer's widow and deaf. Around 1865, he fathered an illegitimate child, Charles Bluett, presumably with a Miss Bluett and probably from Warbstow.
By 1871, William was living with Elizabeth and William Keat in St Teath
and his working life was bound up with Delabole Quarry where he was a stationary engine driver . In 1873, William married
a local woman, Jane Jenkin. She was born in St Teath in 1832. In 1881 they were still living in St Teath. In 1891,
they were living at Pengelly High Lane, St Teath and William is working
as a stationary engine driver. In 1901, they are still there with their married daughter
and grandson. Jane died in 1907 and William carried on living with his daughter. He died in 1914.
- son Charles Bluett 1865 was born
on 6th May in Warbstow. His mother is unknown. He was registered as Charlie Bluett. In 1871, he was in the household of Richard Cross at Lifton - as a "nurse child". "A nurse child is a young child being brought up in the household of someone other than the parents, normally for money, unless the couple are relatives kindly taking in a niece's little error."
Who was Charles' mother? In the Warbstow census for 1861, his father, William was living at Yeolden Gate, Warbstow, with this grandmother, Ann (p.8 1861 census). Almost next door (p.9 1861 census) in the village was Richard Cross (who would be fostering Charles in 1871). And again next door (p.10 1861 census) were the farmers of 100 acres, William and Ann Bluett, nee Chapman. It was their daughter, Salome (aka Sarah), who was Charles' mother. Salome was born in 1837 and thus about 28 in 1865.
Charles was Salome's second" little error". In 1871, the Bluetts had another illegitimate grandson living with them He was Amos Fugler Hugo Bluett , born 1862. The OPC record gives 'Sabine' as the mother. He was probably the offspring of the police constable in the neighbouring village of Otterham, Amos Hugo. In 1881, Amos was still living with his grandparents and working on the farm. Salome herself married a much younger man, Richard Mules, (1848-1923) in 1874, at the time pregnant with their first child, Elizabeth. Originally a farm labourer, they ran the inn in Pipers Pool, near Launceston until Salome died in 1899. She was the 'beloved wife of Richard' (Royal Cornwall Gazette 18th May 1899) and aged 61 (so she had shaved two or three years of her real age).
There is no evidence that the Bluett family acknowledged Charles - there is no OPC baptismal record. Maybe it was William's grandmother who took care of the baby until her death in 1869. And Charlie was then fostered out to William's ex-neighbours, the Crosses, who moved to Lifton in Devon by 1871.
But Charles came back to Warbstow and in 1881 he was an indoor farm servant with Philip Pethick at Tredown Farm, just north of Warbstow, and interestingly close to his grandfather, William Bluett, then at Churchtown, Warbstow. His mother, Salome Mules, was also living in Warbstow.
There's a change of career and he moved south to the Delabole quarry by 1891. In the census, he was reunited with his father and step-mother - they are all living in High Lane, Pengelly. From then,
his life was bound up with quarry , working as a stationary engine driver. On 14th November 1896, as Charles Bluett Uglow, he married Mary Elizabeth Allen, the daughter of a Tintagel farmer. But he reverts to Bluett - in 1901, the couple are living with father WIlliam with son, William Charles Bluett 1897. They also have two daughters, Florence May Bluett 1900-1900 and Doris Allen Bluett 1905.
Charles died on 14th June 1949 and Mary Elizabeth in 1955 - they were Methodists and had lived all their married life at 71 High Street, Delabole (a house that also served as a surgery for visiting doctors). At Mary Elizabeth's funeral, there were several Bluett cousins, suggesting that Charles was finally incorporated into the family. Charles' niece, Hettie Pooley, nee Harris, also attended. And there were plenty of Allens - Mary had several brothers.
- daughter Elizabeth Sarah Jenkin
1874 was born in St Teath. She was with her parents on the 1881 and 1891
census. She married another quarryman, John Henry Harris. In 1901 she was living with her parents
and 3 year old son, William John, at High Lane, Pengelly, St Teath. In 1911, father WIlliam was living with her. Her other child, Hettie Hilda, was born in 1907, marrying William Pooley in 1928.
- back to the Uglow homepage