(taken by Sheila Blige somewhere in the UK )
Welcome - this is a site devoted
to the Uglow name in the UK. It aims to trace the development of the Uglow
family since the 16th century. There are over 2500 individuals identified
on the database - that is only those with the surname Uglow. Eventually
the objective is to enable the 150+ Uglows who live in the UK to track
their ancestors back to their roots in north east Cornwall. Much of the
credit for the information here must go to John 1921 of Thorverton, Devon,
Bill of Lincoln, Tony Rivett of Birmingham and the other researchers mentioned
below and less to me, Steve 1947.
July 2019 - apologies but it's been a while since any update. Struggles with the server but also life's events! If there is any information that you'd like to share on this site, please let me know. My major source (Ancestry) doesn't have births, marriages or deaths after 2005 so I'm reliant on you all to keep this up to date!
- Uglows of Chingford, an independent soft furnishing store, closed after 100 years of trading, in July 2010. 10 years after the shop doors closed in Station Road, Peter Uglow told the story of the family business to the local history society and is available on Youtube.
- Congratulations to Harry Uglow 1996 - in August 2012, Harry from Botley became the youngest person to row single-handed across the Channel from Folkestone to Sangatte in aid of the Make A Wish Foundation who supported his brother, Ollie. For photos, go to his Facebook page but plenty of press coverage.
- Are you a descendant of Captain Alfred Matthews Uglow of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary?
If so the RFA historian, Chris White, would dearly like to talk to you and get some further detals about Alfred. Contact me for Chris's details.
- Very sadly there have been several deaths in the last few years:
- Anastasia Ekaterina 2002, the daughter of David Thomas and Natalia Koniakhina, tragically died on a school trip to New York in December 2019
- David Vernon lost his 17 year fight against quadriplegia and succumbed to a chest infection on the 5th of February 2019. His wife, Patricia, died in 2008 (obitury Guardian 10th November) and his first wife , Sheila, died on New Years Day 2019.
- Winifred Mary Mould, widow of Leslie Thomas Sydney 1924 and mother of Roland 1949, Kingsley 1950, Philip 1953 and Frances 1966,
died in December 2016
- John Andrew (Jack) born 1952, died in July 2016. From Cullompton - and motorcycle racing will miss him...
- Sue Uglow, née Dover, wife of Brian, died in June 2015
- Alan Edward Cory was born in 1934 and died on 22nd November 2013. Alan was a professional gardener, retained firefighter and also worked for many years with young people with disabilities or troubled backgrounds introducing them to gardening. He was a life long church member at Thorley in Hertfordshire. He is survived by his wife Jean, his children, Jane and Nigel, 6 grandchildren and 3 great grand-daughters
- Marion E Uglow, born in 1926. She died in December 2012 and is buried at Rehobeth cemetery
- John Ronald Uglow, born in 1930. A sailor and later a grocer, John died in Dundee on 2nd February 2011
- Alan Uglow, the artist, died in New York on 20th January 2011. There is an obituary in the New York Times
- Mervyn Vosper (1928) died in April 2010, aged 81. From 1967, he taught at his old school, Launceston College. For the last 43 years of his life he lived in the St. Stephens area of Launceston and his ashes are buried in St. Stephens chuchyard
- John Jolliffe 1922 died in June 2010 in Whitstone
- Ralph Joseph 1930 died in July 2010
- Elizabeth Joan (nee Preston), wife of William David 1931 died in Callington in April 2010
- Two of the pioneers of Uglow family history have died in recent years:
- Bill Uglow who died on 13th March 2008. An architect, he worked in Cornwall for many years before moving to Lincoln. Jenny and I met him and Brenda for the first time last year and had a lovely morning with them - a caring and interesting man. He was a meticulous researcher and has provided much of the information on this website. Brenda has also died in January 2016 Our condolences to Susan, Graham and Darryl.
- Very sadly that followed the death of John Uglow (1921-2007) who died peacefully in Thorverton on 17th September 2007, surrounded by his family. John was an electrician by trade but also a talented motor cyclist, having raced grass track on two and three wheels solo from 1937 to 1960 and sidecar from then on. He dedicated a lot of time to his family history and much of the impetus for this site came from his work. Our condolences to Barbara and his family
- On a happier note, congratulations to the most recent arrivals:
- Matilda June 2020 - daughter of Adam Thomas and Natalie Jones
- Clara 2019 - daughter of Nicholas James and Annemarie Klein-Reuter
- twins, Zachary Daniel and Finley Daniel, born in September 2017, to Bruce 1975 and Laura Wilenius
- Alfie - born 30th November 2016, son of Benjamin Edward 1985 and Lisa Taylor
- Harmony - born April 2016, daughter of Christian
Kingsley 1978 and Nikki Twigg
- Imogen - born February 2016, daughter of Paul Mark 1980 and Melanie Earl
- Olivia Rose - born January 2016, daughter of Tegwyn Richard
1981 and Catherine Rose
- Charlie WIlliam and Thomas George - born after 2005 and the sons of Ashley George 1971 and Miriam Hopper
- Arabella Grace and Scarlett Isla, born after 2008 and daughters of Justin Mark 1978 and Elizabeth Ann Harris
- Esther 2015 - daughter of Hannah Trenerry 1976 and Pawel Marendziuk born in Canterbury (and another grandchild for Jenny and myself)
- Eleanor Grace 2015, daughter of Michelle Louise 1988 and Matt Billage
- Dashiel Oliver Miall 2014 - son of Tom 1975 and Nina Miall, born in Sydney, Australia (and another grandchild for Jenny and myself)
- Oliver Robert John born 5th November 2013 - son
of Martin 1984 and Donna Berkley
- Lucy Morwenna 1st July 2013 - daughter of Timothy John 1978 and Myfanwy
- Cassandra Denuta (Cassie) 9th May 2013 - daughter
of Hannah 1976 and Pawel Marendziuk(and yet another grandchild for Jenny and myself)
- Billy 23rd December 2012 - son of Jamie 1980 and Marion Brejoin (and another grandchild for Jenny and myself)
- Abigail and Rebekah 14th October 2012, twin daughters of James Rowland 1977 and Hannah Johnson
- Amelia Rose 5th September 2012, daughter of Martin John 1984 and Donna Berkley
- Felix Lewin Miall 2011 - son of Tom 1975 and Nina Miall, born in London but also an Australian citizen (and another grandchild for Jenny and myself)
- Tobiash Byron 2011 - son of Daniel 1979 and Anastazia Bartkova, born on 28th September in Gosford, New South Wales, Australia. Another grandchild for Michael 1946 who was already celebrating the birth of his granddaughter.....
- Imogen Audrey - daughter of Michal's son, Bruce 1975 and Laura Wilenius, born in Kinston, Surrey on July 27th 2011
- Bryony Imogen, daughter of Timothy John 1978 and Myfanwy, born in Worksop on August 2nd 2011
- Millie aka Emilia Frances Jane in June 2011, daughter of Nathan Dean and Penelope;
- Oscar Mavs 2010, the son of Daniel 1979 and Anastazia Bartkova;
- Max 2010 who is the son of Jamie 1980 and Marion Brejoin (and my grandson!);
- Arthur Frederick Alan 2009 who is the second son of Nathan Dean and Penny Rudge;
- Henry Oskar 19th October 2009, who is the second child of Jonathan Mark 1970 and Sandra Boehm born in Zurich, Switzerland
- Congratulations to our most recent married couples:
- One exciting development is the discovery of a holder of the Victoria Cross - you can read the story of James Henry Finn, son of Mary Baxter Uglow 1873
As the research has proceeded, there is more data about living people.
The policy is to display only the basic information in these cases - name,
age and place of birth but normally not where people live or work. Some
business Uglows are happy to allow more information and that's fine by
me - just let me know. But if any person objects to personal information
about themselves being displayed, please let me know as soon as possible.
It will be removed forthwith.
The site concentrates on the UK although there is a limited page on emigration which
should help other family historians in the USA, Australia or New Zealand.
I've now registered the domain name www.uglow.co.uk
which will take you to this page. The new domain name means that I am able
to be firstname.lastname@example.org. I can probably
arrange this email address for any other Uglows that would like their own
personalised number plate.