Uglow Family HistoryUglows in Menheniot
50031 'Hood' passing Menheniot
This is one of the earliest references (1752) that we have to Uglows moving to the south of Cornwall.
The parish lies east of the town of Liskeard. The village of Menheniot is about two miles south-east of Liskeard close to the A38 and main railway line to the west of Cornwall. A pleasant area with fertile soil, renowned for the quality of slate which has been quarried here for hundreds of years. The discovery of lead at Menheniot, in east Cornwall, in 1843 caused a minor boom in mining and the population doubled in a very short time. The enormous social consequences for the village were matched only by the dramatic physical change, with massive engine houses soon dominating the skyline. By the 1870s the boom had collapsed, the miners sought pastures new and the village reverted to its agricultural life that we know today.
acres of land, 15 acres of water
Menheniot is east of Liskeard
Family 1: Abel and Mary Snell
Abel 1719 from St Gennys is the son of Nicholas and Joan. He marries Mary Snell in 1752 in Menheniot. Mary might be the daughter of Edmund and Thomasin Snell, born in Menheniot in 1726. Abel dies by drowning in 1790 and is buried in St Stephens by Saltash.