Uglow Family HistoryUglows in Padstow
of St Petroc
The original meaning of the name was 'holy place of St Petrock', an important Cornish saint. In the 14th century this became confused with St Patrick, hence the present name, 'stowe' being the English for holy place. The town of Padstow grew on a sheltered inlet on the west side of the Camel estuary, being the only reasonable harbour on the north Cornish coast between St.Ives and Bideford. When St Petrock arrived in the 6th century there was already a settlement here It has always been an important trading port as well as prospering from fishing and boatbuilding. A well-known fish restaurant owned by Rick Stein is to be found in Padstow and has appeared many times on television. The railway line to Padstow was closed in 1967 and is now the 'Camel Trail', where it is possible to walk or cycle from Padstow to Bodmin, via Wadebridge.
Family 1: Edmund Marks and Mary Docton
In the 1841 census, Edmund is a servant with John
Hawken, a maltster, at Dennis Lane, Padstow. [The link here is that
Edmund is the first cousin of William 1807 who marries Margaret Hawken in Padstow in 1832 - we assume that the maltster is a relative of Margaret.
In the same 1851 census, it is difficult to locate Edmund. If still employed by the Hawken family, they are still at 173 Dennis Lane - John is described as a maltster and shipowner and is not at home. Possibly he is at sea and possibly Edmund is with him?.
In 1861, Mary is to be found living on South Quay, Padstow, married and working as a mangler and laundress, next door to the Rowe family. There is no sign of Edmund - evidence that he is still alive comes in The Times on 11th June 1867 when the owners of 65 and 66 South Quay, Padstow are seeking the power to grant building leases over the properties- which are said to be in possession of Edmund Uglow and Joshua Rowe.
By 1871 Edmund has died - still elusive as there is no BMD that I can trace. But Mary, living in Quay St, Padstow, is a widow and working, aged 71, as a confectioner. In 1881, living in Middle St, Padstow, she is described as 'formerly servant'. She dies in St Columb, just close to Padstow in 1883.